Damasca.Net Forum
New Engine Resource Checklist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dart Zaidyer
Faithful Project Janitor, retired
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject:  New Engine Resource Checklist

Following is a list of resources we need for the new engine; what's there, what's not, and what needs to be replaced.

This should probably be transferred to the wiki as soon as we can get something organized on that end.

NOTE: "Hard-coded" means the engine is programmed to use certain file names/types for that resource. We can change the code to refer to whatever we want, or if necessary, we can tweak the engine and force it to defer to a script or definition file that can be changed later for ease of updates.

MUSIC

• Login Screen (hard-coded)-- Needs to be changed to "Theme.ogg", the Damasca theme song
  • All other TMW Music can be removed. Damasca music can be added and used as needed.

GRAPHICS

• Login Screen (hard-coded)-- Damasca-themed Login Wallpaper (800x600) needs to be created.
  • User Interface (hard-coded)-- Damasca-themed GUI images and related fonts need to be created and/or chosen as the UI is written or added to.
  • Player (hard-coded)-- Default TMW graphics and animations/definitions need to be replaced with new ones created specifically for Damasca.
  • All other TMW graphics which do not rely on or work together with hard-coding can be removed, and Damasca graphics and animations/definitions can be added and used as needed.

LEVELS/MAPS

• All TMW levels and maps can be removed. Damasca-specific content can be added and used as needed. (Although the game server may need modification to change the default starting location for new players.)

SCRIPTS AND ENTITIES

• None known to be included by default with TMW other than simple tests, which can be replaced easily. Apart from hard-coding itself, this is one of the most important aspects of the game, as scripting would be responsible for controlling NPCs, monsters, skills, advanced equipment behaviors, and other non-static entities or features within the game world or the game interface whose behaviors differ from or are not accounted for by hard-coding.

Please reply to this thread with any observations or corrections, so we can deal with them as necessary.

Remember: Friends don't let moons eat monkeys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Runefox
Unsettling, isn't it?
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject:  

OK; Let me know what themes we need when we need them and I'll redo them in a more fitting fashion.
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject:  

What themes you need depends on what environments you have in the game. And what environments you can have depends on what tilesets you have.

But this is your game, so I don't want to get involved into any content decisions.
Runefox
Unsettling, isn't it?
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject:  

Well, I'm working on the Theme.ogg file right now. I'm tweaking volumes and stuff at this point, and it's a lot cleaner than the old version. Since it's more or less incomplete as a whole, I'll be fading it out near the end to compensate for the cutoff.

Dureign has already been re-recorded a short while ago, and is a lot cleaner than what we have on the Media page right now.

EDIT: OUCH. No matter what I do, I can't do any worse than my original render of the Theme.ogg file... It's pretty harsh to listen to.
Unsettling, isn't it?
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject:  

Here it is (2.7MB).
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:  

I don't know if you received a message about this but I added Anthonius Runeblaze, Dart Zaidyer and Scythe to the developer list and gave you SVN access. So you can start to replace the content now.

When you have any problems with using SVN or the TMW client in general feel free to ask.
Dart Zaidyer
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject:  

Once I get a chance, and as long as my computer is functional, I'll start working on getting the graphics and items/equipment replaced. I can probably start on Monday. (I'd really love a graphical editor for the XML-based animation format at some point.) After that I'll see if I can start building maps. Even if it's just me on this job, I want to at least get us to a point where we can run around and beat each other up with swords.

I do have some questions: How does the server decide which map to start the player on? How do links/warp zones to other maps work? And how are we going to handle NPCs and other scripted entities, like monsters?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:  

When you change something then please also update the changelog you find in the root directory of both the server and the client. It is important to keep track of who changed what and most of all why he did so.
Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:  

I updated the client and server to the latest state and did some rebranding at the client. You can now create a character and run around on the damasca test map.

Everything that is needed now is a new application icon and a new login wallpaper. Do you have some icon laying around somewhere that can be used?
Dart Zaidyer
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:  

A needed file for the server, "tmwserv.xml" is not present. It wants to load this file, but can't find it. Still runs, though.

We've got an icon (As soon as I can find it or someone can remake it), but as for the login wallpaper, we'll have to create a placeholder until the login sequence can be rewritten, because we want to do things a little differently.

I'll see what I can do.

Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry, I forgot to answer these questions:
Dart Zaidyer wrote:
How does the server decide which map to start the player on?
The starting map and location are currently hardcoded in the accountserver. This should be made a server config property.
Quote:
How do links/warp zones to other maps work?
These are defined in the map files as map objects. Unfortunateley there is no way to do this in Tiled yet. I will try to find an example.
Quote:
And how are we going to handle NPCs and other scripted entities, like monsters?
NPCs are defined in LUA scripts. We decided to hardcode the AI of common monsters because running scripts for thousands of monsters would be too performance-intensive. But I will try to persuade the TMW developers to allow scripted AIs for boss monsters.

Last edited by Crush on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject:  

Here an excerpt from the XML code of a map file that defines a warp area, a spawn area and some example NPCs with both inlined and external scripts. This all has to be entered between the last </layer> tag and before the </map> tag that ends the file:

http://pastebin.ca/749299
Dart Zaidyer
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:  

Unless I'm missing something, pasting that code into the map file makes it un-openable in Tiled.

Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject:  

No, the latest version 0.6.1 can handle maps with object groups.

Note that when you open the map in the server directory Tiled won't load it with a rather uninformative error message because it can't find the tilesets where they are supposed to be (in ../graphics/tiles/). Copy the map into the data/maps folder of the client and it should work fine.

Note that 0.6.1 shows the object groups but they can't be edited. To edit object groups inside the editor you need the newest development version. But note that it is still very buggy:

http://www.crushnet.org/TempFiles/tiled-0.7.0%20WIP.zip
(You can find the sourcecode on the Tiled CVS repository)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Damasca.Net Forum Index -> Project Home All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: