Damasca.Net Forum
Overview of human resources

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject:  Overview of human resources

To know who is the right contact person when I got a question or need something and to make further planning possible I want to ask all of you who are still in this forum and want to contribute to Damasca to state what you did for damasca so far and what skills you possess that can aid in the further development.

I can program in C++ and in some other languages.

I can also do pixel art. I am not that good at sprites but I think I can do map tiles quite well. But regarding Damasca I would prefer to focus on programming instead of graphics.
Dart Zaidyer
Faithful Project Janitor, retired
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject:  

I am a general administrator of both the forums and wiki. I have contributed to every level of the Damasca project in some way, including organization, game design, concept art, music, pixel art and level design. This makes me the Jack of all trades, (master of none,) though art and level design are my strongest fields, with music coming in at a strong third. As such, I am not qualified to lead the project on my own, so while you may be able to approach me for most things, I rely mainly on the others for solid answers. Think of me as the janitor.

Remember: Friends don't let moons eat monkeys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Veros
Warrior
Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:  

I am a moderator for the design discussion forum. I've come up with concepts and kingdom structure for Delthia so I should be able to do similiar work with whatever we come up with. I recently started learning C++ (So it'll be a while before I can do anything programing-wise) and I'm somewhat capable with art/sprites/pixel art, here's a recent example of what I've been able to do.
Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:  

That's it? What about Scyther and Anthonius?
Runefox
Unsettling, isn't it?
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:  

Sorry, I completely missed this thread (or the point of it and relevance to me). Also, Scythe is not a Pokémon. silly

For a while, I did organizational work, attempting and from time to time succeeding in pulling this place out of at least three activity droughts. I did sound/music work (that I largely consider trash by my current standards), as well as occasional sprite art (that was largely considered trash), HTML work (that was largely considered trash) and UI work (that was largely considered trash), with the odd contribution to the design process and planned features. I structured the audio system design as it is, and envisioned the ability to use either MIDI, low, medium, or high-quality music, depending upon the bandwidth or desires of the user. I also envisioned the concept of inter-kingdom war and its presentation, as well as participated in the discussion on several other features such as a debate system and the economic system. Most of my input is high-level, rather than low-level, and is conceptual in nature, not practical. My main strengths at the moment are probably audio-related, since I'm in no position to offer leadership at this time, nor am I comfortable with my graphics arts skills. I can, however, provide technical support and assistance.

I am also an administrator of these forums, and also have limited access to our damasca.net webspace, and run my own server for the purpose of temporary usage.
Lead Developer
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:  

I host the site, so sitey things can be directed to me to deal with. Unfortunately I can't work on the game itself.
Veros
Warrior
Warrior

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject:  

There are lot more people who just aren't posting right now, I'd say there'll more soon, especially as it gets gets closer to Christmas and they have more free time.
Scythe
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, its just Scythe, thanks silly

I mostly just contribute opinions. I also am in the process of learning C++ (via college courses), I'm by no means a pro, however, so I haven't exactly contributed much on that end. As far as the future goes, I'm willing to look at the code and sort of learn what I can and do what I can do help. I don't have a real skillset and previous experience with online games only involve mapping and being a general admin. Oh and I'm the mod of the trashcan forum, however useless that may be, and while we were doing chats I ran the IRC room.
Crush
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:  

Veros wrote:
There are lot more people who just aren't posting right now, I'd say there'll more soon, especially as it gets gets closer to Christmas and they have more free time.

Sorry for breaking your hopes, but their silence is a clear sign to me that they are no longer interested in Damasca.

It seems to me like you got a lot of thinkers but no people who are qualified to execute the decisions of the thinkers. What we need is more competence, especially regarding graphics. We got basically two choices. One way is getting graphic competence by finding new people to contribute to the project. But it will be very difficult to find good people without a running game with own graphics to show them. The better choice would be when the people we got would accquire the needed competence themself. So I would encourage you to learn how to create graphics yourself. Doing pixel art is not really very difficult. After a short learning phase you will be able to create graphics that are good enough to build a game world to attract more competent artists.

I would suggest that Dart Zaidyer and Veros focus on creating tilesets and sprites. You may not really believe in your skills yet, but you are the only people we have. Just start with it and show us what you did. I have a lot of experience with game graphics from TMW and will be able to give you some constructive criticism to help you improve yourself. Also note that what you create needn't be final. When people see that we are showing initiative to create a game with own graphics and that we have the abilities to pull it through new people will come and help us. More competent artists will come and improve your graphics. We just have to start with it.

By the way: What about the tiles I saw in the old Damasca client? Why didn't you add these to the new client instead of these ugly tiles ripped from Zelda?

Regarding programming: The situation is a lot better here. I will be able to do most of the programming for now and I am confident that Scythe and Veros will increase their skills and become able to assist and eventually replace me in the next years.

But the bottom line is: We can not rely on others to bring the competences we need. We have to accquire the needed competence ourself.
Runefox
Unsettling, isn't it?
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:  

I agree with what you're saying here, and I regret that there isn't much to be brought to the table on my end of things either on the competence level nor time to expend.
Faithful Project Janitor, retired
Overseer
Overseer

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:  

I was going to wait until we had something done before I said anything, but currently we've got Ryumaru working on an outdoor tileset. So far, the work-in-progress art is looking good. Hopefully he'll have enough time to get a minimum of tiles done in between his normal responsibilities.

Remember: Friends don't let moons eat monkeys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bowlich
Forum Junkie
Immortal Overlord
Immortal Overlord

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject:  

For all effective purposes I'm lurking about -- but as I've told Dart repeatedly over this autumn, I'm pretty much booked solid with non-Damasca-related-work (five seminar-level college courses that keep my nose to the grindstone day and night -- God) until January. So, if you need any clarifications on the systems / any other past design notes I can get them to you, however expect me to continue to lurk until further notice.
Theta
Tavern Lout
Tavern Lout

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:  

Gee, I remember this place.

*Necro*

This is my first semester at college, so that's why I haven't been around.

My talents lie in musical composition (I got Cubase and I can make some killer audio files now, by the way)... unfortunately I don't know C++ or any scripting language. If there's any grunt work like stats for monsters (or that pixel map of the island which I did oh-so-long-ago), just give me a call. I can also write pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Damasca.Net Forum Index -> Project Home All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: